PCMCIA problems on TI TravelMate 5300

Hello,

I'm trying to get PCMCIA services working on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 5300. I'm using potato, a 2.2.13 kernel of my own build (I had to leave out PCI support, because the kernel goes into an infinite loop while probing PCI hardware), recompiled PCMCIA modules, and a recompiled pcmcia-cs package (version 3.1.7-2). Unfortunately, I don't know much about the hardware on this laptop.

When I try to use the tcic controller driver and start PCMCIA, I get an "init_module: Device or resource busy" error. Also, the kernel log reports:
"Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found."
"ds: no socket drivers loaded!"
"unloading PCMCIA Card Services"

However, if I try to use the i82365 controller driver, the machine hardlocks before it gets a chance to write anything to the console or the kernel logs, so I can't tell what it's doing.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or even where to find more information? I saw someone else reporting what seems to be the same problem on a Red Hat list, but nobody offered any explanation or solution.

Please keep me CC'ed, since I'm not (yet :)  subscribed to this list.

Thanks,

--
Nathan E. Sandver, KC7SQK
nsandver@debian.org || kc7sqk@arrl.net