Re: Potato on laptops -- wvdial

Hi,

I am using SuSE 6.2, but here is some information I have on wvdial,
which works fine on my system (external Dynalink modem on ttyS0).

I set up /dev/modem to point to /dev/ttyS0:
bret@ganesha:~ > ls -l /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           10 Dec 11 23:21 /dev/modem ->
/dev/ttyS0

Note that there is a wvdialconf tool, which writes the configuration
file.  You must edit the file to add your username, password, etc.

man wvdial, man wvdialconf both have discussion of options and problems.

Here are some of the files which might have to do with the setup:
===================== wvdial.conf ======================
[Dialer Defaults]
Username = bwaldow
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Password = ****************
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
Compuserve = 0
Tonline = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = *52, 0867 333 22
Baud = 115200
Auto DNS = 1
Stupid Mode = 1
New PPPD = 1

My ISP's DNS server:
nameserver 203.29.160.4

I hope this may be of some help.  Let me know if there's some other file
or setting you think might be involved, and I'll get that info.

regards,
Bret