Re: pcmcia ethernet cards

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 11:50:00AM -0500, John_J_Neff@colad.com wrote:
> I have a toshiba satellite 400CDT that I use an IBM PCMICA ethercard in.
> It was working in kernel 2.0.36.  I upgraded to potato and it still worked.
> I then downloaded and reconfigured 2.2.13 kernel and the ethernet card
> stopped working.  Can someone tell me if they have any specific troubles
> with ths card, laptop, kernel combination?

Of course you have read /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz
which says:

There some add on modules that hook into make-kpkg and the kernel
sources so that they may be kept in synchrony woth the kernel you
run. If you have such a module source package, for example,
pcmcia-source, then please read README.modules as well. If you don't
never mind. (The file is in /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-X.X.XX/. If you
don't have kernsel-source packages installed [that's OK]. there is a
copy in /usr/share/kernel-package/README.modules).

and  /usr/share/kernel-package/README.modules says:

        Most of these modules need to be compiled for each kernel
 version; they are very dependent on kernel structures. It was
 suggested that it would be nice to be able to build the add-on
 modules whenever one created a new kernel, and kernel-package
 provides some mechanisms to do so for co-operating add-on modules.

        In order for this to work, the add on modules must appear in
 a standard location, choosen to be $(MODULE_LOC)/<mod-name>/
 (MODULE_LOC defaults to /usr/src/modules, and can be set either on in
 the environment or the configuration file), and must arrange to be
 manipulated by the kernel-package mechanisms.

??
:-)

> I am getting some module (depmod) errors on bootup so I will be attacking
> those.  I would hate to be fighting a losing battle though, so if you've
> discovered it does or does not work, the advice would be appreciated.

regards,
Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany