pcmcia ethernet cards

I have a toshiba satellite 400CDT that I use an IBM PCMICA ethercard in.
It was working in kernel 2.0.36.  I upgraded to potato and it still worked.
I then downloaded and reconfigured 2.2.13 kernel and the ethernet card
stopped working.  Can someone tell me if they have any specific troubles
with ths card, laptop, kernel combination?

I am getting some module (depmod) errors on bootup so I will be attacking
those.  I would hate to be fighting a losing battle though, so if you've
discovered it does or does not work, the advice would be appreciated.

John J. Neff