Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale

Hello Milan.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 12:06:20AM +0100, Milan Knížek wrote:
> Hello list & Klaus!
>
> There are two problems with the locale settings for the Czech
> environment (knoppix lang=cz).
>
> First one: /etc/locale.gen defines only cs_CZ ISO-8859-2. Would it be
> possible to add "cs_CZ.UTF-8" (via dpkg-reconfigure locales)?
>
> Second one: /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig states some
> obsolete info and should be updated to use UTF-8 and xkeyboard="cz"
>
> Hence the two lines 410 and 411 would be:
> cs|cz) # Czech version
>     LANGUAGE="cs"; COUNTRY="cs"; LANG="cs_CZ.UTF-8"; KEYTABLE="cz-lat2"; XKEYBOARD="cz"; KDEKEYBOARD="cz"; CHARSET="utf8"; KDEKEYBOARDS="us,de(nodeadkeys)"; TZ="Europe/Prague"; CONSOLEFONT="iso02g" ;;
>

> If the above is not applied, the keyboard in X is unusable (cs in Xorg
> stands for Serbian) and the terminal (xterm) works with a wrong charset.

Thanks for this hint, it looks like I really have to move away from the
"one char per letter" approach that was 8-bit-per-char ISO-8859-*. Some
programs in Debian don't even seem to support the traditional charsets
anymore, and crash on startup in a non-utf8-environment (openshot,
stopmotion, ...), so it is likely that I will have to switch to UTF-8
completely in the next Knoppix version. For this, I will use your patch
above, too.

I'm not entirely sure about the console charset. If switching to UTF-8
for X, I should do this for the text console, too. Is
CONSOLEFONT="iso02g" still correct then?

> P.S. There seem to be some problems with mount parameters for the USB
> flash disk the Knoppix is running from - as a result, the accented
> characters of filenames created in other operating systems are wrongly
> displayed. (/dev/sdb1 mounted as /mnt-system) I will try to find what
> the problem is and report back if successful.

I think it may be related to the traditional 8-bit charsets, too, and
the problem will go away when you switch to UTF-8 for the entire system,
including udev and mount.

I'll also have to replace the old GTK Xdialog, which does not handle
UTF-8 well, but is still used in many Knoppix-specific scripts.

Regards
-Klaus