Re: Safe-Upgrade

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 01:13:43PM -0700, JD wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    Most of the time I am a Fedora user.
>    As such I am familiar with how yum works.
>    Generally, yum update only works from the
>    fedora update repository, unless other repos
>    are enabled on the command line, or the .repo
>    files are edited and each one enabled in the repo file.
>
>    It appears that running
>
>    aptitude  --safe-resolver --allow-new-installs  safe-upgrade
>
>    also uses repositories that are in testing and in unstable,
>    instead of sticking only with the update repos that are stable.
>
>    How can I tell aptitude to exclude the testing and the unstable
>    repos?

You can configure this based on packages, package groups or origin in
/etc/apt/preferences.d (empty by default), in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00knoppix where "squeeze" is set as defaut, so no
testing or unstable packages will come in unless explicitly requested.

Now, some packages in Knoppix are indeed from testing and unstable, just
because they provide better support for current hardware (like xorg) or
new features (libreoffice), and they will automatically be updated from
testing/unstable, too, if a newer version comes in there.

You can tell aptitude to be biased towards stable by adding "-t stable"
to our upgrade commandline, or explicitly request a stable package by
aptitude install packagename/stable, or even add a version number
(aptitude install packagename=versionnumber).

You can remove, or comment out the testing and unstable repositories
from /etc/apt/sources.list and rerun aptitude update, for making sure
that a testing or unstable package will never again come from there. But
from my experience, testing and unstable blend in well with stable if
you are carefully looking at aptitudes or apt-gets output before
actually doing the update.

Regards
-Klaus