Comiling custom Knoppix 2.6 kernel?

I've installed 3.7 on my laptop, and it looks like I need to compile a
custom module to suport one of my wireless cards (Compaq W200). I'm using
the 2.6 kernel.

I looked in .usr/src, and saw that what was there was teh 2.4 kernel, and
instructions on compiling a custom version of it. I suppose I could backup
to the older kernel, but it seems that I will be better off in the ling run
using the newer kernel. Are there any differences in compiling the 2.6
kernel? Should I use the Debina kerenl-package method? or the vanila
compile method?

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin