Re: [debian-knoppix] Linux newbie... can't see mouse cursor

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 21:18:25 -0700, Mark the Cable Guy wrote:
> Bear with me, because I'm a linux newbie...

Please do _not_ post html messages to the list and use a reasonable
line length (about 75 chars per line).
And please use a real name.

> when Knoppix boots up, everything seems to work great, until I get into
> the GUI, and then the mouse cursor is stuck in the top left.... The
> strange thing is, that I can move the mouse around and click on things,
> but the cursor doesnt move.

The following might work:

1. Boot Knoppix without starting the X session:
Type in  "knoppix 2" at boot prompt

2. Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
(I guess mcedit is more newbie compatible than vi ;-))

3. Go to the Section "Device". Into the section, add a line like this:
   Option "HWCursor" "off"

4. Save the file (press F2) and start the X session:
/etc/init.d/xsession start

BTW, which graphics card do you have?

Have you tried other desktops/window manager than KDE?
("knoppix desktop=xfce" for example)

bye,
  Chris
--