Re: Dropping 686 non-pae kernel

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 01:11:02PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:34:51AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > Are there any changes we could/should make to the 486 flavour that would
> > make it perform better on 686-class processors?  Should we consider also
> > dropping 486 support and making it a 586 flavour with corresponding
> > optimisations?
>
> The 486 flavour have only 8% of the usage of the 686 and steadily
> dropping. Which CPU types would be affected?
[...]

According to the Kconfig help, anything called 486 plus UMC U5D and U5S.
According to Wikipedia, the Cyrix 5x86, 6x86 and MediaGX and the
NatSemi/AMD Geode GX1 and SC1100 processors also use a 486-class core.
Kconfig has an option for GX1 which is the same as 486 modulo some bug
workarounds.

                                                              - Albert Camus