Re: [Debian] CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS and Squeeze

On 02/04/2011 01:44 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:06:38AM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
Many OpenVZ containers are still likely to require the legacy pty option in
the kernel in order for "vzctl enter" or "ssh" to work.
Please explain why. ssh always use openpty, which works fine with
devpts.

Given the assumptions that containers run different distros, including some older ones,
this option is needed.

Another thing is, legacy PTYs is a fallback for the case when /dev/pts is not mounted.

Still, my opinion is the feature is from "good to have" department rather than from
"absolutely required".

I can work around it for my environment, but a lot of people will have
difficulty if the CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS option isn't set in the default kernel.
Would it be possible for you to add it to the -openvz flavors of the
Squeeze kernels as a default?
No, it is too late. Also this request should be made through the openvz
userspace maintainer.