Re: 2.6.14 status summary, and upcoming 2.6.15 ...

Please, Sven, do not cc me: I am subscribed to the kernel list!

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:48:01 +0100
Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:23:32AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:13:50 +0100
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Jonas, maybe you would feel like adding a wiki page with the arch
> > > status or something ?
> >
> > Sorry - I don't understand - what do you want different from the
> > arch status notes on
> > http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions ?
>
> What i really like is a summary of any remaining showstoppers for not
> moving 2.6.14-4 kernels to testing, from a yaird perspective. Well,
> from a yaird+initramfs-tools perspective probably.

Ah, so it is same thing as your earlier request for filing bugreports
against linux-2.6 for each unknown hardware combinations and have the
ramdisk tools close those as the hardware gets tested. I cannot do that
task: It is a too big job for me!

> The point is to ensure that no users are left out in the cold with no
> upgrade path and a broken kernel if we do so. What about 328534 for
> example, altough i suppose this one is mergeable with the other
> dpt_io bug. I was tempted to reassign a clone thereof to yaird +
> initramfs-tools.

Yaird only by default supports drivers using sysfs. I suspect that the
issue of bug#328534 is a driver module not properly using sysfs. And I
guess the workaround is simply to add it manually
to /etc/yaird/Default.cfg. But it is pure speculation - I'd really want
Erik's opinion.

So if workarounds like "the driver for your hardware is currently too
limited for automated recognition using yaird, so you need to manually
edit the config file for your hardware to work, or try initramfs-tools"
is considered "left out in the cold" then bug#328534 is a showstopper.
And it would require a big chart of all kernel modules for harddisk
controller (for each arch?) to make sure that no user would be left in
such situation.

> BTW, also, about ia64 situation, is it possible to use yaird in
> initrd case still ? I know Eric was disabling this for 0.12, but we
> are still using 0.11 ?

Yaird 0.0.11 is newest release - so it _will_ be removed but _was_ not
yet.

It is deprecated due to lack of testing. So if someone starts testing
it then Erik might get convinced to keep it:
Replace /etc/yaird/Templates.cfg
with /usr/share/doc/yaird/examples/Debian-initrd.cfg.gz gunzipped
should do the trick.

 - Jonas

- --