Re: 2.6.14 status summary, and upcoming 2.6.15 ...

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:12:34AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Please, Sven, do not cc me: I am subscribed to the kernel list!
>

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:48:01 +0100
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:23:32AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > > Sorry - I don't understand - what do you want different from the
> > > arch status notes on
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions ?
> >
> > What i really like is a summary of any remaining showstoppers for not
> > moving 2.6.14-4 kernels to testing, from a yaird perspective. Well,
> > from a yaird+initramfs-tools perspective probably.
>
> Ah, so it is same thing as your earlier request for filing bugreports
> against linux-2.6 for each unknown hardware combinations and have the
> ramdisk tools close those as the hardware gets tested. I cannot do that
> task: It is a too big job for me!

Nope, i am asking you for a few lines of situation report of yaird, is that so
difficult ?

> > The point is to ensure that no users are left out in the cold with no
> > upgrade path and a broken kernel if we do so. What about 328534 for
> > example, altough i suppose this one is mergeable with the other
> > dpt_io bug. I was tempted to reassign a clone thereof to yaird +
> > initramfs-tools.
>
> Yaird only by default supports drivers using sysfs. I suspect that the
> issue of bug#328534 is a driver module not properly using sysfs. And I
> guess the workaround is simply to add it manually
> to /etc/yaird/Default.cfg. But it is pure speculation - I'd really want
> Erik's opinion.

What is strange is that the module apparently gets added when manually added
to Default.cfg, but still no devices are created.

> So if workarounds like "the driver for your hardware is currently too
> limited for automated recognition using yaird, so you need to manually
> edit the config file for your hardware to work, or try initramfs-tools"
> is considered "left out in the cold" then bug#328534 is a showstopper.
> And it would require a big chart of all kernel modules for harddisk
> controller (for each arch?) to make sure that no user would be left in
> such situation.

Well, do we have a workaround ? I mean, people will apt-get upgrade and
automatically get yaird and the 2.6.14 kernel pulled in, and not only will the
next reboot not work, but possibly there will be no way to bring the box alive
again. This is the kind of situation which i believe showstoppers. If there is
a workaround, we could put out a errata list of the problems and possible
workarounds and stuff.

> > BTW, also, about ia64 situation, is it possible to use yaird in
> > initrd case still ? I know Eric was disabling this for 0.12, but we
> > are still using 0.11 ?
>
> Yaird 0.0.11 is newest release - so it _will_ be removed but _was_ not
> yet.

Ok, so, what would be the best way to generate an initrd on ia64, and someone
with ia64 hardware, can you test that ? We can put this bug report on yaird
0.0.12 once it is out, or something.

> It is deprecated due to lack of testing. So if someone starts testing
> it then Erik might get convinced to keep it:
> Replace /etc/yaird/Templates.cfg
> with /usr/share/doc/yaird/examples/Debian-initrd.cfg.gz gunzipped
> should do the trick.

Ok, but we really need a way to automatically set yaird to initrd on ia64,
maybe by a postinst editing Templates.cfg or something ?

Dannf, or someone with ia64 hardware, can you please test that ?