Re: split patches for kernel-patch-debian

Jens Schmalzing <j.s@lmu.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Banck writes:
>> People who want to build their own kernels should know how to run
>> 'apt-get source' by now.
>
> Assume for a moment they get Debian on CDs and don't feel like getting
> the source set as well just for rebuilding the kernel?  Or mirrors are
> not required to carry source any more?  Or they are the security team
> and want to push a fix without having to fuck around with deb-src
> lines?

Mirrors are required to carry source by the GPL so thats not hapening.

> Compared to the number and size of the kernel-image packages created
> from it, a kernel-source package is tiny anyway.  We can well afford
> to keep it around.  What we need is a way of getting rid of obsolete
> kernel versions altogether.
>
> Regards, Jens.

I think the biggest advantage of kernel-source debs is that you only
need to install it once and can then install a multitude of patch
packages or update patches and rebuild the kernel. Without that each
time you build a kernel-image with some patches something would have
to download the source again and again.

Without a kernel-source deb all the kernel-patch debs would have to be
moved to contrib since their dependencies would be dangling.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: To get rid of kernel-source debs push dpkg2 forwards so sources
can be installed/Build-Depended/Depended like normal packages.