Re: split patches for kernel-patch-debian

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 07:38:01PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Well, if I have a collections of patches and want to build a
> kernel-source package make-kpkg kernel_source sounds like the right tool
> to archive that, no?

BTW, while we're at it: Wouldn't now be a good time to check whether we
still need those kernel-source binary packages? That sounds soooo 90s.

Why don't we have the vanilla[1] kernel as .orig.tar.gz, the debian
build system as .diff.gz, and the needed patches either in the diff as
well, or as binary packages the kernel Build-Depends on (possibly only
for specific architectures). The kernel-images and -headers would then
be built as binary packages from that source package. People who want to
build their own kernels should know how to run 'apt-get source' by now.

Just a thought, I'm not even a kernel-packager-wannabe...

Michael

--
[1] or vanilla modulo DFSG, blah, whatever