Re: [wli@holomorphy.com: Re: NMU: kernel]

Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Thiemo Seufer (ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de) [040524 17:25]:
> > With a single kernel package, you'd have to wait with a new i386 release
> > until the user of one of the more obscure mips subarchitectures gave it
> > a try on his box. That's simply not practical.
> >
> > Btw, so far nobody explained why a single kernel package should be
> > beneficial. In the ideal case, the arch-specific one contains only
> > the debian/ directory and the kernel config files. It's nearly zero
> > effort to keep it that way, and it allows much more leeway to handle
> > less ideal cases.
>
> Reducing the size of the arch-patches and also namespace they touch to
> debian and arch would certainly be a good thing.

Sure.

> However, a kernel source package that is able to build binary packages
> on more than one platform would make the management of the security
> updates for the security team easier - at least to what the security
> team says itself, and I trust them.

A single kernel _source_ package, right. This works already well for
generic security issues, and with a better integrated 2.6 kernel, there
are good chances it will work for most arch-specific issues as well.

On the other hand, if a security issue affects only $RANDOM architecture,
we should be able to handle it without bothering millions of debian
users with a competely nonsensical kernel update.

> For me, the goals are (with priority 1, 2, 3):
> 1. Reduce the number of kernel-source-*-packages in sarge to 1 or at
>    maximum 2 (for each of 2.2/2.4/2.6).[1]

Agreed.

> 2. Reduce the arch-specific patches to debian/ and arch/.

Plus some arch-specific drivers. A worthwile goal, but probably
not fully reachable all the time.

> 3. Make it possible to build the binary packages on as many
>    architectures as possible without any manual interaction, and
>    without applying any patches.

Huh? A kernel package which fails to autobuild is broken.

Thiemo