Re: [wli@holomorphy.com: Re: NMU: kernel]

Hi,

first and foremost, this discussion belongs on debian-kernel.  Please
take if off debian-devel right here and now.

Christoph Hellwig writes:

> As William mentioned no one wants to take over any packages.

His first message sounded quite different.  I'm glad and thankful he
made his intentions clearer now.

> What I mentioned is that the separate packages must die,

As far as I understand the recent discussion, the problem is *not* the
architecture-specific kernel-patch packages, but rather the huge
number of kernel-source packages.  IMHO, this has to be dealt with by
removing older kernel-image packages as soon as a newer release is
available and sufficiently well tested, and removing older
kernel-source packages as soon as no more kernel-image packages depend
on them for building.

> and with that I mean the existing maintainers should cooperate.

Indeed.  But cooperation already exists.  So far, it meant that
Herbert took the upstream source, prepared a kernel-source package,
and put it up on people.d.o for the other maintainers to download and
prepare their arch-specific kernel-image packages.  Very efficient.  I
don't think we could come even close to this if we had one source
package for all kernel-image packages.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!