Re: KDE SC 4.9.5 on wheezy howto?

Hello Martin,
On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:40:01 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. Februar 2013 schrieb dh:

> > --------snip--------
> > Thank you all for your comments, I did a few of test installs this
> > weekend, (in virtual box) a couple from the wheezy live kde iso,
> > another from Debian Installer (d-i) Beta4. Diederik's suggestions
> > worked without a problem.
> >
> > Now I just need to decide if I want to revert to the unsupported (from
> > upstream) kdepim. I spent a week and a half last september "upgrading"
> > from 4.4.11, now I have to decide if I am willing to go back.

> Oh, if you have already done the upgrade and are happy with it, it would
> involve quite a lot of extra work and the potential of meta data loss, if
> not being very careful.

I did a test with a backup of my Mail folder. Since the metadata is separate
from the mail, it is actually easier to go backwards. (But the metadata will
be lost))

The metadata stored by nepomuk seems to be the major draw of newer kmail2,
etc. But since all of my email searches are simple, akonadi/nepomuk actually
creates as many liabilities as benefits. Turn off Nepomuk and I lose the
ability to perform a simple search in my email at all.

kmail 4.4.11 is not dependent on Akonadi / nepomuk to perform searches if I
remember correctly.

> You could wait till Debian maintainers ship KDE SC 4.10 packages including
> KDE PIM 4.10, but then likely you would have to run Sid until Wheezy + 1,
> unless there will be backports.

Yeah, that's my conundrum, switching to Wheezy seems to work for me in all
cases except the kdepim problem. I really don't want to be dependent on Sid,
although it probably is no worse than what I have become used to.

My worry is that in ~2 years (Wheezy +1) it is possible that the transition
forward will be even more painful :-(

Once KDE 4.10 enters testing I will be pretty much on par with my current
system. (except kdepim) and I've been looking forward to basking in the warm
glow of Wheezy stability since I decided to leave SuSE  :-)

> You could also try to compile KDEPIM 4.10 from source as detailed in
> building KDE software from git.kde.org the easy way
> Date: Last Tuesday, 13:32
> Author: Aaron Seigo (aseigo)
>
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2013/02/building-kde-software-from-gitkdeorg.ht
> ml

I actually did that on another (Wheezy fresh install) machine last week
right after reading the post. I had a fair amount of luck and think Aaron
did an excellent job of describing the process. Highly recommended
Base KDE libs and applications built without much trouble, but I ran into
problems w/ kdepim. It's definitely a possibility worth investigating further
though.

My goal Is to do the real transition towards the end of March, so I still
have quite awhile to make a final decision and test my options. I'll see what
testing and Sid look like at that point.

Thanks for your ideas and tips, I look forward to being a member of the
Debian community.

dh