How to get rid of unused activities?

I'm not actively using KDE's activities, but for some reason >20 of them
have accumulated behind my back, as I only noticed accidentally. As I
only need just one of them, I'd like to get rid of the rest.

In KDE 4.5.3 (Debian experimental-snapshots), the context menu on the
desktop has an entry "Activities" that shows a bar of activities at the
bottom of the screen. In my case, they have somewhat strange icons and
all are named "Desktop". I didn't find any help anywhere, but apparently
I can stop an activity by clicking in the upper right corner of its icon
and in turn a small x is shown there. As the x'ed activities didn't
disappear right then, I restarted the session, only to find the number
of activities to have grown even more.

As far as I can tell, the configuration of actities (among other things)
is stored in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc. I haven't yet
tried to delete this file as I don't want to lose the "other things".

Is there a way to clean up the mess and avoid it in the future?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de