Re: memory usage

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:03:02 +0200, Marcus Better wrote:
> Boris Bobrov wrote:
> >> 1.3g 5808 S    1 34.5  15:33.26 java
> > Is the problem.
> > Try htop, it'll show all processes.
>
> Thanks, but I already know that it is Eclipse, and htop doesn't show
> anything new except a few dozen threads in that process.
>
> Still, shouldn't an Eclipse process of with 1.3 GB RSS still allow for a KDE
> desktop, a mail client, a browser and some small tools in a 4 GB system?

I would say it should. Your problem might be caused by preemptive
swapping out of "idle" processes, which can make sense on a server but
can create severe latency problems on (desk|lap)top systems, especially
with such large applications. Have you already tried to set
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness to zero?

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |