Re: Kde 3.5 ...

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Richard Hartmann:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 19:54, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> > Are you aware that KDE PIM developers noticed that the percentage of
> > KMail users on KDE-PIM's own mailing list has dropped below 50%?
> >  Even KDE developers are fed up with KDE unreliability.
>
> If you check my user string, I am using Gmail's interface in Iceweasel
> with It's All Text & GVim with ft=mail.
> That is due to the fact that nothing scales as well for GiB of mail
> like Gmail. Sad, but true.

Hmmm, I think KMail + a decent filesystem or fast IMAP server does quite
well - except for search, but there Akonadi will help hopefully. I am
using KMail from KDE 4.4.3 now at home with a POP3 account that carries
dozen of mailinglists - including linux kernel mailinglist with
30000-40000 mails in just one folder. With KMail from KDE 3.5.9/3.5.10 at
work with a Zimbra Collaboration Suite 6.0.6 als IMAP server I have the
same. I even had 70000-80000 in linux kernel mailinglist folder there once
and it was usable.

If any GU based fat client scales, its KMail IMHO. Believe me, my mail
accounts are pretty insane. Easily several 100000 mails.

BTW for people who wonder whether it could make sense to store mail
metadata in a MySQL database: Zimbra does just that and is *blazingly*
fast. Additionally it builds up a search index via Lucene in the
background. That would be Nepomuk in KDE. So I think Akonadi and Nepomuk
can become really quite a relief for heavy mail users like me.

Sure in company environments one usually have a server for that, but for
my personal use I find installting Zimbra a bit of an overkill. And there I
hope Akonadi- and Nepomuk-based KMail 2 will bring lots of joy.