Re: Kde 3.5 ...

I still have both operating. My KDE3.5 was locally compiled but I still have
to do some footwork in /etc/profiles and the startkde scripts to set paths
appropriately. But both work no sweat.

So the backports are an option and since Ubuntu stores its KDE libraries
differently than "pure" Debian, it should be easier than my way.

However, while I agree KDE4 has taken a newer direction and is slower, one can
configure it to work more like the old favorite. Your desktop and be the
desktop folder "containment" and then work from there.

Or try one of the lighter-weight alternatives.