KDE menu wierdness

On my sid box at home, I had an issue which turned my KDE menu topsy turvy. Note that I am running 32 bit sid on this box. On my 64-bit machine at work, I haven't seen this behavior.

Originally, the top-level menu categories were similar to the ones on kde 3.5:

Debian, Development, Edutainment, Games, Graphics, Internet, Multimedia, Office, etc.

At some point, I lost System, Office, and a couple of others...And all of the apps that lived under them are now in Lost and Found, about 120 or so. I opened kmenuedit and tried to restore menu config, to no avail. Is there a way to access the menu from the command line? a file I can edit to arrange it? The gui seems a little time consuming.

Anyone got a fix for it?

--b