Re: PolicyKit Authorization (System Settings) crashes every time

On Friday 25 December 2009 00:51:41 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On 2009-12-25 George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> > Yes, they are co-installable, but I mean that the API is
incompatible,
> > so you can't take a policykit-based application and compile it
with
> > policykit-1. Much like Qt3 and Qt4 are incompatible with each
other.

> Thanks for the explanation, installing policykit-1 didn't have an
effect
>  (on the module), which I hoped it would do (ie add
>  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume to the list)
>
> > > Does that mean that the PolicyKit Authorization module will
not work
> > > properly until 4.5 is released? That will also mean that
Squeeze won't
> > > have a working PolicyKit module.
> >
> > Probably yes. And I guess it won't be compiled at all in the 4.4
> > series, since debian squeeze will only ship policykit-1 afaik.
>
> Wow, bummer. I was rather impressed how it worked (when it did)
>
> > > Or is my system messed up and it does work properly for
others (except
> > > Goran Dobosevic)?
> >
> > Mounting drives works fine for me, if that's what you are asking.
> > Afaik, the default policy is to allow mounting external drives if
the
> > user trying to do that is the active user on the system.
>
> I can still mount them (as root) but auto-mounting it from
Dolphin (as me
>  as normal user) was rather handy.
> It still works for removable drives, but the partitions/drives in
question
>  are internal hard disks and those aren't mountable by users by
default,
>  unless you change the policy.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Diederik

The plans seem to suggest to me that a policykit-1 system settings
module and kauth backend will be available in kdereview for kde 4.4,
but won't be the default. Debian could compile the policykit-1
backend as the default when compiling kauth.