Re: PolicyKit Authorization (System Settings) crashes every time

On 2009-12-25 George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> Yes, they are co-installable, but I mean that the API is incompatible,
> so you can't take a policykit-based application and compile it with
> policykit-1. Much like Qt3 and Qt4 are incompatible with each other.
Thanks for the explanation, installing policykit-1 didn't have an effect (on the module), which I
hoped it would do (ie add org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume to the list)

> > Does that mean that the PolicyKit Authorization module will not work
> > properly until 4.5 is released? That will also mean that Squeeze won't
> > have a working PolicyKit module.
> Probably yes. And I guess it won't be compiled at all in the 4.4
> series, since debian squeeze will only ship policykit-1 afaik.
Wow, bummer. I was rather impressed how it worked (when it did)

> > Or is my system messed up and it does work properly for others (except
> > Goran Dobosevic)?
> Mounting drives works fine for me, if that's what you are asking.
> Afaik, the default policy is to allow mounting external drives if the
> user trying to do that is the active user on the system.
I can still mount them (as root) but auto-mounting it from Dolphin (as me as normal user) was rather
handy.
It still works for removable drives, but the partitions/drives in question are internal hard disks
and those aren't mountable by users by default, unless you change the policy.

Thanks for the info.

Diederik