Re: kde 4.3.4 is building for unstable now ;-)

On Saturday 12 December 2009 17:30:51 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Could somebody tell me what's so attractive about that broken nvidia
> installer?

 Hi Modestas,

 I think 'asking for trouble' is a little disingenuous - as I'm
 not actually asking for trouble.  If my way failed to work
 and caused me problems, then I'd take your point - I should
 change my ways.  The fact that my way has worked well
 for me for the 15 years I've been using Debian suggests that no
 one's asking for anything here.  The nvidia installer has never been
 broken - more often it's X or udev or KDE or something else that
 you get caught out by when you live on unstable / experimental.

 FWIW the problem I saw, I have since put down to the 4.3.2
 and 4.3.4 mix - everything is fine now.

 I compile my own kernels - my way - and compile the nvidia drivers
 based on those kernels.  I grab the linux-source deb, of course, it's
 just that I don't use make-kpkg - I find it's just not worth the
 bother.  I understand there are some compelling benefits for many
 people ... just not for me.

 Out of curiosity I went through The Process yesterday and today.

 Part of the problem is the transition from custom to Debian way,
 I know.  For instance the presence of the /lib/modules/2.6.30
 directory was confusing for dpkg--install.  I thought I'd be tricky
 and just move to 2.6.32 using the full Debian way - you know, good
 opportunity for a clean break and all that.

 make-kpkg -bzimage *should* give me a /boot/bzImage.2632, and
 I see that the bzImage stuff floating past during the compilation and
 package-making process - but it still just produces a vmlinuz file.

 The make-kpkg fails out of the gate for me, as it doesn't respect
 (or at least quietly ignore) the MAKEFLAGS setting I have (-j 10).
 So that's another little step I have to do to make make-kpkg work.

 The vbox modules I had on 2.6.30 - installed via the Debian way - are
 not under the /lib/modules/2.6.32 directory now - I'll have to
 investigate why they failed to be built or added to the modules deb.

 The kernel that it created failed to boot - with a VFS error - because
 I run an encrypted root file system, and so had to revert to a safe
 kernel, run the mkinitrd script manually, and patch the grub2 files
 then re-run grub-mkconfig.  I'm happy to do this, as I know I'm not
 a vanilla user ... and I kind of know what I'm doing.

 I mention all of this just to explain why some of us don't jump
 on the Debian way for kernel and video drivers.  Sure, for people
 who are new to GNU/Linux, and/or new to Debian, the stock kernel
 is just tickety-boo, and the transition for them to use the tools
 to generate driver and kernel .deb files is probably a bit easier
 for them.

 In any case, back on topic, 4.2.4 is now installed on laptop and
 desktop, and .. doesn't seem savagely different, but it's nice to
 know that it's all there now. :)

 cheers,
 Jedd.