Re: KDE 4 simply broken

* Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> [2009 May 15 04:11 -0500]:

> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > While I've been hit with some annoying bugs and a couple of lack of
> > features like no system beep passed through Konsole, I've not seen the
> > crashes.
>
> Wow, how did you do that? I get crashes several times a day from all over
> the place.

I don't know.  I just use KDE as I always have.  That said, I primarily
browse with Iceweasel and that is about all I use this kaptop for
except reading usenet with Pan.  Once in a great while I'll fire up
Konqueror but I do keep a Konsole open with three tabs.  I even launch
Xscreensaver instead of using the KDE one.

> > Perhaps that has more to do with your video driver and
> > kernel.
>
> I doubt it. I've filed a lot of crashes upstream and they are real. On the
> bright side, they are getting fixed quite rapidly so I'm optmistic.

Other than Kwin, I'm probably not actually touching KDE all that much.
The reason I started using it full time was its integration with
hotplug devices such as insertion of a USB pen which wasn't handled at
all by IceWM at the time.

One thing I did was move my ~/.kde directory out of the way after it
seemed Kaboom did nothing useful for me and reset my few
customizations.

- Nate >>