Re: KDE 4 simply broken

While I've been hit with some annoying bugs and a couple of lack of
features like no system beep passed through Konsole, I've not seen the
crashes.  Perhaps that has more to do with your video driver and
kernel.  Other than KDM refusing to start since upgrading to KDE4,
after installing kernel 2.6.29-2 the video stuff was much improved (I'm
using the Radeon driver).

At the risk of starting a flame war, it seems as though some of GNOME's
philosphy has rubbed off onto the KDE devs.  They now seem to worry
about "confusing" and too many options and seem intent on following
GNOME's path toward dumbing down the interface.  If both major desktops
head off in that direction it may be time to look for a third option.

On my main workstation I still run KDE 3.5.10 and even though it is
Sid, it hasn't been updated for several months and it's running just
fine.  I'm keeping Sid current on a T41 laptop and will only update the
desktop once I feel KDE4 is ready for my prime time.  In fact, I still
have OOo Calc 2.3 installed on this machine as some later version
screwed up the sorting rather badly.

- Nate >>