Re: [SOLVED] No sound in kde4.2, but sound works in other applications.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 02:05:17 +0200, didi.debian wrote:

[...]

> I installed phonon-backend-xine as well and made it the preferred backend, but
> I still hear no sound.
> Also blacklisted pcspkr, through /etc/modprobe.d/pcspkr with content
> "blacklist pcspkr" (http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModuleBlacklisting)
> Still no sound.
>
> I have an "Audigy2 ZS soundcard" and the motherboard has a "NVidia CK804 with
> ALC850".
> In KDE3 I had to create a file (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base) to make the Audigy2
> the default sound device (normally it would default to the onboard).

Did you remove this file before switching to KDE 4?

> But it looks like KDE4 handles it correctly now without it (lists the Audigy
> card on top) and I am not using alsa anymore (right?).

KDE 4 uses the first working ALSA device that it can find on my Sid
system.

> Where can I start to figure out why sound isn't working?

Place the mouse pointer over the line with the Audigy card in the System
Settings > Multimedia > Device Preference list, then wait for about one
second without pressing any mouse button. You should see a passive
pop-up window that tells you which output devices will be tried. Compare
this with the output of

aplay -l

to make sure the right card and device are tried first.

          Florian   |