Re: Coexistence betwend kde3 and kde4

In <[🔎] 200904161822.03422.d_baron@012.net.il>, David Baron wrote:
>On Thursday 16 April 2009 18:16:21 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 200904161610.57353.leo@alaxarxa.net>, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
wrote:
>> >I administrate several boxes and I would like to have some box
>> > with unstable (kde 4.2.2) and stable (kde 3.5.9) using the same /home
>> > for the users (ergo .kde)
>> >
>> >So, is this possible?
>> Not really.  But, this really shouldn't be much of an issue.  Sharing a
>> .kde directory between KDE 3.4 and KDE 3.5 wasn't completely supported.
>>
>> In practice, sharing a .kde directory between KDE 3.4 and KDE 3.5 only
>> caused a few errors.  In theory sharing a .kde directory between KDE 3.5
>> and KDE 4.2 will probably cause more.
>>
>> I suggest that you set KDE_HOME in your global environment on the
>> different systems.  Using "~/.kde<major>.<minor>", for example .kde3.5
>> and .kde4.2, should be sufficient.  I think KDE_HOME is the only thing
>> that needs to be set, but you might want to double-check me.
>I am doing it this way. Might also need to set PATHs to favor the target
> KDE version as well.

That shouldn't be required unless a "bin" directory is also shared between
systems.  Users should be semi-responsible for anything in ~/bin (or other
directories they are adding to their PATH).

>> I still have a .kde3.4 and a .kde3.5 (.kde is a symlink) from doing
>> something similar for different reasons.
>Name your poison.

I'm not completely sure what it was, but I think it was back when I was
running Gentoo and installing KDE 3.5 betas.  It was something done
automagically for me, IIRC.