Re: Coexistence betwend kde3 and kde4

In <[🔎] 200904161610.57353.leo@alaxarxa.net>, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
>I don't want to install kde3 and kde4 in the same box.
>
>However, I administrate several boxes and I would like to have some box
> with unstable (kde 4.2.2) and stable (kde 3.5.9) using the same /home for
> the users (ergo .kde)
>
>So, is this possible?

Not really.  But, this really shouldn't be much of an issue.  Sharing a .kde
directory between KDE 3.4 and KDE 3.5 wasn't completely supported.  Newer
versions of the applications may have moved configuration options and while
they will read the old versions they may write out the configuration
incompatibly.

In practice, sharing a .kde directory between KDE 3.4 and KDE 3.5 only
caused a few errors.  In theory sharing a .kde directory between KDE 3.5 and
KDE 4.2 will probably cause more.

I suggest that you set KDE_HOME in your global environment on the different
systems.  Using "~/.kde<major>.<minor>", for example .kde3.5 and .kde4.2,
should be sufficient.  I think KDE_HOME is the only thing that needs to be
set, but you might want to double-check me.

I still have a .kde3.4 and a .kde3.5 (.kde is a symlink) from doing
something similar for different reasons.