Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

Alle Wednesday 08 April 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ha scritto:
> In <[🔎] 200904090014.01454.modestas@vainius.eu>, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> >On 2009 m. April 8 d., Wednesday 23:59:10 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >> Then file the bug at the Debian BTS and the maintainer will forward it
> >> to upstream if necessary. (Of course, only to this is you are willing
> >> to work with the maintainer to correctly resolve the bug.)
> >
> >WRONG thinking. File a bug to Debian BTS only if you believe (and can
> > justify it) that it is Debian-specific. I'm not talking about this bug in
> > particular, but in general. DO NOT report upstream bugs to Debian BTS
> > (with the exception of grave or more serious).
>
> No, you are wrong. A bug in a package (caused by upstream or not) is a bug
> in Debian. Bugs in Debian are, according to "The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ" (an
> official document prepared by Debian) to be filed on the Debian BTS.
> According to the instructions at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> (again, an official document prepared by Debian) if you file a bug on the
> BTS you should not file the bug upstream, but let the maintainer do it.
>
> IMO:
> Even if you *know* the bug is a problem caused by upstream, you should
> probably file it on the Debian BTS if it affects Debian. This way it will
> show up in automated reports for the status of bugs in
> stable/testing/unstable and persons watching the package through PTS will be
> notified. Bug reports are actually one of the main metrics used to
> determine when a new version of Debian is ready to be released -- if there
> are bugs that affect Debian but are only reported upstream, that metric
> reduces in value.
>
> Yes, you shouldn't copy upstream reports into the Debian BTS, but if you are
> running Debian and encounter the bug it should be on the Debian BTS (even if
> it needs to be somewhere else, too.)

Thank you for clarifying this point. I agree with your official reasons, and I think to users too. Users simply install a package and then must figure out to whom they should file a bug when they have found one. This is going to make them crazy because they are going to have many representatives (upstream authors) instead of just one (Debian). Filing a bug upstream is discouraging since you must search for the project homepage, find other similar bug reports, and thereafter the authors could say that the bug is Debian related (it may happen). Then you are back to the starting point: DBTS. Users are the wrong way to have a fruitful communication with authors and if they solve a problem, they tend to NOT share the solution with everybody (not because they are selfish, but because they are not developers and cannot do any commit). These are my concerns.