Re: FW: Re: kde 4.2 beta showstoppers?

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> antradienis 23 Gruodis 2008, Kevin Krammer rašė:
> > Are there plans to change this back to default once KDE4 becomes
> > officially available in unstable?
>
> In my opinion, it should stay ~/.kde4 forever. Otherwise, there would be no
> sane way to use KDE3 applications with KDE4.

You mean using the same application for both versions interchangably?
Are the KDE4 applications all suffixed with 4 or similar to make the parallel
installable with their KDE3 versions?

The main problem I see with having a different location than upstream is that
all potential upgrade path scenarios have to be taken care of by Debian.
One of the KDE4 base packages need to install some kind of migrator and make
sure it is called before any KDE4 process that might directly or indirectly
update config or data.

I've seen user questions on KDE mailinglists regarding broken upgrade paths on
distributons which weren't careful enough, config or data not being correctly
copied or symlinked thus not triggering applications upgrade helpers
thus "losing" settings and data.

Cheers,
Kevin