Re: Why KDE4 ktorrent in Lenny?

On Wed September 24 2008 04:48:36 Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Martes, 23 de Septiembre de 2008, Mike Bird escribió:
> > See below for my Lenny KDE packages.  What differences do you see
> > between this and the systems where you tested ktorrent 3 with Lenny's
> > KDE 3?  Is it possible that ktorrent 3 does not work with KDE 3?
>
> It _does_ work, and as said in the thread, should work perfectly.

Please post your "dpkg -l | grep kde" from a working Lenny KDE 3.
I've already posted mine[1].

Thus far people asserting that it works have actually been running KDE 4
and/or Sid.  The question is whether Lenny's default ktorrent 3 works
with Lenny's default KDE 3.5.9 using only the parts of Lenny's KDE 4
brought in by ktorrent 3's dependencies.

> Try installing debsums and run it against the KDE 4 packages.

I already have debsums installs.  No problems related to KDE or anything
remotely close to KDE.  I've appended the output to this message.

As noted in the thread, I have removed/purged ktorrent 3 and its
KDE 4 dependencies using dpkg, run ktorrent2.2 successfully for some
days, and reinstalled ktorrent 3.  No change.

FWIW, my ktorrent2.2 is currently removed ("deinstall ok config-files")
not purged, so I can return to a working configuration.

> Just in case, make sure you don't have any package without
> dependencies solved.

No missing dependencies (apt-get --dry-run -f install).

> You must have a ~/.kde4, because KTorrent stores there important
> information about the torrents in progress. If you don't have one, try
> reinstalling as Modestas said.

Modestas indicated that "kbuildsycoca4" perhaps with "--noincremental"
should create "~/.kde4".  It does not.  What should create "~/.kde4"?
Why is it not included in ktorrent 3 dependencies?

If I "mkdir ~/.kde4" and then run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental"
nothing is placed in "~/.kde4".  I have previously posted my
kbuildsycoca4 output[2].  What more is needed to diagnose why
kbuildsycoca4 is not putting anything in "~/.kde4".  FWIW, running
ktorrent itself does not put anything in "~/.kde4" either.

Nothing is scanning "/usr/lib/kde4" for the plugins.  What should be
scanning "/usr/lib/kde4"?  Why is it not included in ktorrent 3
dependencies?

ktorrent 3 is unable to start service 'khelpcenter'.  Does ktorrent 3
work with khelpcenter 4:4.0.0.really.3.5.9.dfsg.1-5 or does it need
khelpcenter4, and if so why is it not a dependency?

ktorrent 3 under KDE 3.5.9 is really ugly, and the fonts are not
anti-aliased.  Is there any way to fix this without installing KDE 4?

Thanks,

--Mike Bird

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2008/09/msg00085.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2008/09/msg00081.html

# debsums -ca
debsums: can't open acpi-support file /etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad_acpi.modprobe
(No such file or directory)
debsums: no md5sums for at
/etc/bind/named.conf.options
/etc/bind/named.conf.local
debsums: no md5sums for binutils
debsums: no md5sums for bzip2
/etc/console-tools/config
debsums: no md5sums for debian-archive-keyring
debsums: no md5sums for debian-multimedia-keyring
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
debsums: no md5sums for doc-debian
debsums: no md5sums for ed
debsums: no md5sums for emacsen-common