Re: KDE4.080/74-1 Plasma

Hi,

Tuesday 27 May 2008, David Baron ra:
> But ... plasma is central! Well, in a pinch, kicker will in fact run just
> fine (and in my dual set up, I need to exclude it from the session
> startup!)
I'm not saying that kicker is not good at its job. But it's becoming obsolete
very quickly. I agree with you that plasma is not quite "there" yet, but it is
in usable state for daily tasks if you keep its sensitivity in mind. Hey,
there are still two months till KDE 4.1 release!

> 3.5.6 has kmail 1.9.6
> 4.074 has kmail 1.9.5
Nooooo, it's 1.9.51 (as in fifty)!.

> 4.074 deleted the receive mail sessions and gave me no way to enter them
> again. I suppose I could edit them into the rc but they WERE there and got
> removed so editing might not help.
Indeed, that's interesting of yours. I don't remember having this problem. Now
I'm running a bit later revision though. Btw, if you want to import settings,
copy kmailrc, emailidentitiesrc (or something similar), apps/kmail from ~/.kde
to ~/.kde4 and run (with kmail off)

$ /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kconf_update/kmail.upd

kmail recieves mails just fine, but currently it strips non-ASCII characters
when saving and sending mails (the bug I mentioned in my previous mail).

> May do that. The older desktop functionality is needed. Device-icons
> already there from kde3 show neither the mounted or unmounted icon. There
> is no refresh and changes it does facilitate are not displayed until
> something, anything, forces it.
Well, I agree that desktop icons are somewhat unfinished yet. They are too
small, text is almost unreadable, but contrary to KDE 4, they are runable.

> Desktop->properties->apply can do it.
It's minor stuff and will probably fixed for final release. Neither does
desktop theme change take effect until you resize the panel.

> Getting an application icon (drag from menus) does not work correctly
I have not tested, but:

mart * r813469
workspace/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/icon/icon.cpp: creation
of icons applets by drag and drop works again

> and
> the only way I can do it is manually copy a preexisting one and hand edit
> it. Just what is the concept of the plasma dashboard? What is it supposed
> to do, hopefully better, prettier and more effectively than the older
> concept (which most folks were used to from any of the other wms?
Well, it's more than a "desktop". As far as I understand, dashboard icons are
not real files or anything, they are just plasmoids which are just links to
the some stuff (defined in ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc). They do not
seem to be desktop icons since they do not disappear when you delete a file
from ~/Desktop (or it's another bug). Overall, plasmoid can be anything which
in theory gives you more freedom but might be annoying at first.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>