Re: KDE4.080/74-1 Plasma

Hi,

Tuesday 27 May 2008, David Baron ra:
> OK, the panel crashes are my fault, apparently from kde3 applets I am
> using. They did give such problems in the very old kde4 versions but have
> been just fine until today's upgrade. Also, that  0,-54 position of the
> panel is now showing up and maybe causing crashes as well. I will deal with
> that by hand, I suppose.
That might have be bad interaction of later kdelibs and earlier plasma.
kdebase-workspace 4.0.80 has just been accepted, please retest tomorrow.
However, still plasma is still sort of sensitive, treat it gently.

> Luckily, by /opt/kde3.5 is still around and I and other family users can
> run this without a hitch. This is really necessary when the new one is so
> volatile, almost snapshots rather than "milestones" or upgrades.
It's a milestone (KDE 4.1 Beta 1) expect plasma.

> I also tried the new kmail 4.074 which is actually based on an older
> version that the kde3.5.6! Looks fine but since it did not eat all the
> settings and canceled the sessions, I tried to reenter them. The configure
> kmail dialog is empty.
Is empty how? No settings imported? You're right. However, in fact it's
possible to migrate almost all settings from KDE3 kmail with some minor manual
intervention. I don't know why you think kmail 4.0.74 is based on the old
kmail from KDE3, because it actually has all the features and layout of kmail
3.5.9. What is more, current kmail4 is darn stable and overall I'm very very
positively surprised by it's current state (not a single crash on my me,
noticed just one real bug). It has such solid feel.

> Running kde3 again,  it simply looks much nicer. Icon sizes and text labels
> work better, overall panel composition (ignoring the funny placements of
> the last couple of days) looks nicer. And the desktop functionality such as
> creating new device icons (and having them function) is still not there in
> kde4. All the resizing, rotations and other stuff is of limited value if
> one cannot get icon sizes and text labels to coordinate nicely.
Well, plasma dashboard is completely different concept than conventional
desktop. You can add a Folder View widget to simulate the old desktop. Your
criticism about device icons might be right (drag and drop from dolphin does
not work), but please post it to more general upstream KDE list or file a
wishlist bug to upstream BTS.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>