Re: The kde team solution is not work well, i think so

El Jueves, 17 de Enero de 2008, Paul Johnson escribió:
> My first impressions of the new Konsole are fairly negative.  Are they
> trying to take a page from gnome-terminal's book with keybindings that
> are common in terminal programs.  "Hey, let's make the default
> keybinding for some obscure function we threw in because we got a
> single wishlist bug with a code snippet ALT+CTRL+L.  Nobody uses that
> for a frame refresh key or anything important ever!"  And what's with
> not being able to automatically resize the konsole back to your choice
> of standard terminal dimensions?  It's a remarkable step backwards.

Well, I don't have this particular concerns with konsole (I have others with
other applications), but anyway, I don't see what this has to do with what we
were talking about. I mean, your complaint was:

| think the upstream KDE team was quite premature in calling it stable
| given some relatively basic stuff like configuring the panel are still
| missing.

And the fact that an application has changed stuff in a annoying way, doesn't
make it unstable. I mean, delaying the release even more, or calling 4.0.0 a
not stable desktop, would not change that.

It's also quite annoying to me the fact that Okular uses more horizontal space
than KPDF to display some icons, but that doesn't makes the application
unstable.

Even if most users had plenty of complaints in all applications, that's
EXACTLY the point in releasing 4.0.0: making real users test the
applications.

> I disagree.  If you're going to redo something as basic and taken for
> granted as kdesktop and kicker, it should at least do the basics like
> properly capture tray icons from things like wine and Google Desktop
> instead of displaying an empty space you can do nothing with where the
> icon should be.

Well, the only use I make of kdesltop, is displaying a nice wallpaper. Since
4.0.0 has some new and cool, plus all the good ones from 3.x, I don't miss
anything.

Kicker is a completely different story. I miss a lot of features, of course,
but the only significant one that I miss, is displaying only the tasks of the
active desktop.

With that said, I am probably in the situation that most users will be: using
KDE 3.5, because 4.0.0 is (in full) not enough for me. However, with the
release of KDE 4.0.0, I can replace KPDF with Okular, and the 4 version of
dolphin, konsole, kate, juk, and maybe others.

So in summary: yes, the situation is not optimal, but I think it's the less of
two evils.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net