kde 3.5.5: 'large' gap between menu/tree/list lines

hi,

since a few days, i find the 'gaps' between two lines of text are pretty large
(too large for my favor). affected are menus (including kde start menu) and
trees (like kmail directory tree on the left side).

it came up a the same time on my two different machines (both have SID
up-to-date). one of them having a resolution of 1024x800, the other
1280x1024.

the affect is annoying since i have less information on screen - i am forced
to use the scrollbars more often than before.

Q: where is the 'screw' to modify the gap?
or will it be fixed in the future?

Tim