khelpcenter build index cache of application manuals

One of the biggest issues I have with kde debian is the seeming enigmatic khelpcenter and the whole mysterious docbook methodology of using khelpcenter to access any documentation to begin with. It seems almost ignored as far as documentation, and setting
it up properly.

When firing up khelpcenter, I want to build an index of all the application manuals, so I press
build search index, and up comes a window that pops up an unchecked checkbox Application Manuals that I promptly check under the column header 'search scope' with the far right column header being status and underneath it describing it being missing:

Search Scope			Status
X Application Manuals		Missing

So after checking it attempting to build the application manual index I get the following error:

Global symbol "$kdekdehtmldir" requires explicit package name at /usr/bin/khc_docbookdig.pl line 94.
Execution of /usr/bin/khc_docbookdig.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

What's the deal?  Anyone know or can point me to the 'official' way of building the application manual
index so I can once and for all pull up the khelpcenter help for the application i'm looking for help in?

Thanks in advanced.