Re: not a wallet file

Hello Jean-Damien,

Jean-Damien Durand wrote:
'error opening the wallet "kdewallet". Please try again (error code
no 3: not a wallet file'

I do not mind too much to get it resetted completely, but I would like
first to have an advice from you on how to:
- either identify a wallet file in /lost+found, possibly restore it
- correctly reset everything about my kdewallet (again I do not mind too much)

There are (at least) two files in every user's home directory which are
associated with the kde-wallet:

~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc

controls the behavior of the wallet system (i.e. what you normally set
in Control Center > Security & Privacy > KDE Wallet)

and

~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl

which contains the actual data from the wallet in encrypted form,
accessible with the wallet's password. (The filename will be different
if you changed the name of the wallet.)

If you can find the .kwl file(s) in /lost+found you might get the data
back by copying them to ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/. If you remove a
(possibly) corrupted .kwl file from ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/ you
should be able to start with a new "clean" wallet. It might also help to
delete/move kwalletrc if you suspect the problem might come from an
error in the configuration.

Finally, it is possible to replace ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/ with
a symlink to an ordinary directory in your $HOME. That way you can make
sure that the important data in the wallet is included in your regular
backup of your home directory. (However, this might compromise your
security somewhat, depending on what your backup scheme is.)

HTH
       Florian