kdm not starting after init level change

[please CC me on replies]

Hi,

I have a sarge machine with KDE 3.3 installed, and for some reason,
kdm doesn't start anymore. It's properly registered as S99 with
runlevel 2 (the default), it is the default window manager, and
a `set -x` in the init script reveals that start-stop-daemon is
being called properly while the script executes.

However, when I boot the machine, or change to runlevel 2 (e.g. from
single user mode), the script says it started the KDE window
manager, but the machine is left with the /bin/login prompt, and
neither kdm.log nor XFree86.0.log contain any hint for a problem.
The screen also does not turn blank or flicker, so it seems as if
kdm simply doesn't start. It seems that sometimes the machine just
sits and waits for a keypress, then suddenly starts kdm. However,
this is not reproducible at will, happens randomly it seems.

Curiously, running the init script by hand after the boot works
alright.

I've attached a tarball of four strace scripts after putting an
strace -ff -F in front of the init script start-stop-daemon call for
kdm. I can't make sense of it, but maybe it helps.

Thanks for any help! Please CC me on replies!

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"if a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is
 interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the memory makes
 your floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to
 report."
                                                      -- <speedstream>