Re: Automounter in KDE

I'm finding this discussion somwhat frustrating because no one seems to  be
able to say clearly what KDE can or can't do.  I also find it strange that
this doesn't "just work" since it is somthing that just about every desktop
user needs to do every day.  Here are some observations I´ve made:

Kanotix mounts and places links to USB devices on the KDE desktop just as one
would expect, so it is possible (why shouldn't it be?).  When the device is
removed the link dissapears from the desktop.  I don't know what packages or
scripts or whatever are used to achieve this.

I also noticed that on my Sarge system with KDE 3.4.1 I can add the applet
"Storage Media" to my Panel.  When I insert a cdrom it appears as an Icon in
the Panel. I can open the cdrom in a Konqueror window or eject it (this works
contraty to what another poster says).  I have the following line in my
fstab:

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom    iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

I run usbmount so I don't have any sdxx entries in fstab.  I run fstab becaue
I gave up on trying to create an fstab entry for every possible combination
of partition and device that I encounter.  When I plug in a USB device one or
two USB Icons are place in Panel by "Storage Media".  I can open the device
in a Konqueror window, but if I try to "Safely Remove" the device I get some
error about no line being present in fstab for the device.  I have a link to
sync on my desktop so that I can unplug the devices safely (recommended in
the mountusb documentation).  I`d kind of like the USB devices to work like
the CDROM does i.e. with a remove feature that works.

Regds,

Chris

--
C. Hurschler