Re: want thunderbird link to open new tab in konqueror

On 6/27/05, Mickael Marchand <mikmak@yzis.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, in that area it's a bit complicated

Thanks for the tips.

> you could ask kfmclient to do it for you :
> kfmclient newTab http://www.kde.org

Yes, I created a file in my user directory called "konqueror.newtab"
with this line:
kfmclient newTab $1

> but your konqueror needs to run on the same desktop as your thunderb
> otherwise a new window will popup.

I selected in Control Center => KDE Performance => Konqueror to always
have 1 preloaded and to load one on startup and for file browsing only
... this seems to provide the "running" version that the above command
(kfmclient) is looking for.

> the other way is to script a little bit :
> dcop konqueror\*
> will list all started konqueror,
>
> grab the first one and :
> dcop konqueror-3280 konqueror-mainwindow\#1 newTab http://www.kde.org

I tried various versions of this, but sometimes it wouldn't start the
version in memory, and it also had the disadvantage of putting a web
browser in a file manager version of konqueror.

> will do what you want,
> now you just have to make a script and link
> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser to it ;)

Here, I specified in /etc/mozilla-thunderbird/global-config.js the
following lines:
pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/home/<user>/scripts/konqueror.newtab");
pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","/home/<user>/scripts/konqueror.newtab");

> since you are a hacker according to your name, that should be trivial

actually the hacker nickname goes with my email (golfbuf) not with
linux hacking.  I wish I were better at both!

> for you, I even wonder why you asked the question ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Mik

thanks for the tips

hacker (of golf)