Re: Gnome imperialism

Am Friday 24 June 2005 16:14 verlautbarte Nick Leverton :
> Aptitude knows which packages were installed manually and which were
> just added because of dependencies.  If this is the first time you've
> used aptitude, it might be as simple as doing "aptitude install kde"
> to tell it that the kde metapackage is wanted.  That will then hold
> the rest of KDE in.

I've installed the kde-meta-package long time ago and inbetween removed
some stuff because of borken dependencies in sid/unstable. This seems
to have removed the kde metapackage which causes the behavior. Your
solution worked out, so thanks.

> More probably, however, there may be some package in gnome that
> Conflicts with some package in KDE.  That will then cause part of kde
> to be removed as a conflict, and the rest will then be unreferenced
> by any dependencies so aptitude will think they are unused.

It seems to be the case. I'm using some gnome apps like gvim and gimp.
So it seems the dependencies come from there.

> I never use the aptiude GUI, only its command line, but I expect
> there will be a way for you to see the error messages.  Look for the
> earliest error, it probably holds the answer.

The GUI interface was not particularly enlightening.

Thanks for the answer

Rigo