Gnome imperialism

This is now the n-th time:

I wanted to upgrade my KDE 3.4-pre to 3.4.1. I open aptitude, update the
packages list after having changed the sources list to alioth
3.4.1-location.

Now I tell aptitude to upgrade and it removes ALL KDE and installs all
Gnome. What is the magic dependency program that I have to remove to
stop this implicit gnome imperialism? I mean Gnome/KDE should run
together and not fight each other. Is this too difficult to express in
the deb package-format? The message in aptitude is quit funny:
"Packages being removed because they are no longer used"

It seems that aptitude knows more than I do on what I use ;)

I mean it is not urgent, I will find my way around, but it is annoying
and consistent behavior since Woody. Are there any clues to avoid that
prob in the future?

Best,

Rigo