Re: Problems while removing kvim

Hello!

I had the same problem and I have found a very "dirty" work-around only.

WARNING:
I can give no guarantee, that it works for you.
Do it only, when you understand, what you are doing!

If there are any other ideas, try them first!

Here it is:

Remove ALL vim-packages you have installed:
vim, vim-common, etc, which can be removed with
dpkg --purge <package>

In
/var/lib/dpkg/diversions
you find entries like

package1
file1a
filef1b
package2
file2a
file2b

Manually, remove all

packageX
fileX1
fileX2

entries, which include
/usr/bin/vim as fileX1

Then you should be able to
dpkg --purge kvim

After this - all *vim* packages shoul be removed:
dpkg --get-selections | grep vim
should return no more result.
Otherwise, remove them the same way, too.

Next, you ***must** check, that in /usr/bin/
there is no more file or link, named vim*:
ls /usr/bin | grep vim
should return no result.
If there are any files called vim*, delete them with
rm

Then you can (or better should be able to) install vim again:
apt-get install vim

Hope, it helps.

Regards
Matthias