Re: where to get kde3 deb's for woody?!?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:49:05 -0500, Jason Mansfield wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can get these from? I searched google and found
>many references to them from like 2002 and none of the links to the deb's
>work anymore.

(Assuming you want packages for i386 hardware ...) *unofficial* Debian
Woody packages for KDE 3.2.2 are at
ftp://download.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.2/Debian/

I still use an earlier set of KDE 3.1.4 for Woody debs that used to be
hosted at download.kde.org, but they've gone. Some people, me
included, found the upgrade from 3.1.4 to 3.2.2 didn't work cleanly,
but AIUI a fresh install of 3.2.2 should be painless, though you'll
also need to install a Woody backport of XFree86 4.3.1.

You should read the README file at the above location, part of which
runs as follows :

===========================< cut >=============================
README for KDE 3.2.2 for Debian Packages

BE carefull, the packages are tested and works fine for ME. They could
break YOUR installation. BACKUP your datas before updating. The
Packages based on XFree4.3, don't upgrade if love your XFree-4.1
If you find a problem or a missing package drop me a note.

This README should give you some information about the Debian 3.0
(woody) packages provided by KDE (by me for the purpose of helping KDE
on Debian).

The primary intention is to provide the latest KDE releases to
everyone relying on the stability of a Debian release version.
===========================< cut >=============================

>Also what is the process to install the new ones once I find them (the
>apt-get commands)

Add a line like this to your /etc/apt/sources.list :

  deb ftp://download.kde.org/stable/3.2.2/Debian stable main

Then do this :

  apt-get update
  apt-get install kdebase arts kdelibs kdenetwork kdegraphics

You may need to manually install a few more things, but all the
essential packages should be dragged in by the above.

You can get a backport of XFree 4.3.x from http://www.backports.org
(and http://www.apt-get.org is well worth a visit too).

You really should do a search of the archives of this list - there has
been a huge amount of discussion of this topic.

Also read http://www.davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html
and http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian/
and http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE
(though all of them seem a little out of date now).

NB: quite a few people recommend using "aptitude" or "synaptic" rather
than apt-get, but apt-get still works for me.

                        *        *        *

BTW: _please_ avoid sending M$ Office generated HTML garbage to a
Linux users' mailing list - most of the list members only want to see
plain text - in my case, my mailreader doesn't understand HTML at all,
and along with your plain text I get this stuff shoved in my face :

xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";>

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}

[many more lines snipped]

I'm sure you see what I mean :-)

Cheers
Nick Boyce
Bristol,UK
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
                -- seen on the net