Re: directory names for configuration files

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 08:06, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just looked at the chosen names and do not understand the reason for it:
> - Why is it /etc/kde3 but ~/.kde?

Is that "why is it not ~/.kde3", or "why is it hidden"?  It's hidden because I
don't want to see all the config files, most of the time, whereas that's all
that's in /etc, so why would you be looking there if you didn't want to see
config files.  It's .kde rather than .kde3, I suspect, because it doesn't
make sense for an individual user to have two sets of config files, but it
does make sense during initial testing and evaluation for the system to keep
the kde2 files around.

> - Why is ~/.kderc not a non-hidden file in ~/.kde?

Good question.

> - Why are the .DCOP* files not in ~/.kde? Does anything else use dcop?

Anything else _can_.  I don't know what else does.

> - Why does ~/.kpackage exist?

Interesting.  I didn't know it did - you must have used kpackage at least once
- and it appears to contain all the .debs (and .rpms) that I downloaded off
the web but for which I didn't use apt-get and sources.list.  In particular,
I see it has a couple of webmin debs that I couldn't seem to get from my
regular mirrors on the weekend, so I went to the debian.org website, and an
Oracle jdbc driver which is non-free.
--
derek