Re: KDE/Konqeror - mounting NFS export hangs Konquerer and K-MenuI

On Sunday 09 January 2005 02:58 pm, C. Hurschler wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> no, it does'nt need to connect over a DNS server, its running on a small
> home LAN.  I noticed that my lo interface wasnn't active after cobaco
> suggested looking at that.  Once I had fixed that in
> /etc/network/interfaces I could use KDE again.
>
> Since I can only mount the NFS export using an ip address for my server
> (athlon), I was looking around in the various network configuration HOWTOs
> but couldn't really figure out how to get hostnames resolved on my LAN.  I
> have a router which can tell me what devices are attached and what their
> hostnames and ip addresses are, so isn't there some way that mount can
> access that information to resolve the hostname ips?  Anyway, the real
> problem with KDE has been solved.

If your other machines (particularly, athlon) have fixed ip addresses, you can
add stanzas for them in /etc/hosts on your client machine and your system
should then be able to resolve them, i.e.:

127.0.0.1       localhost       clientname
ip.addr.of.athlon athlon

Alternatively, what kind of names will your router resolve for you?  I think
that if ping can resolve it, mount should be able to, too.  I thought I
remembered having to fully qualify names of computers on our network at work
with our 2wire router (i.e. servername.gateway.2wire.net), but testing it I
see that that is not the case.

Josh