KDE/Konqeror - mounting NFS export hangs Konquerer and K-MenuI

Im having a problem with a recently install of sarge on an Acer Laptop and KDE
from unstable (just upgraded).  Im running  the 2.6.9 kernel.

Without a network interface activated, everything works as expected.  When I
activate a network interface I can ping externaly and to my local server.  I
can mount an NFS directory (it takes a while) and move through directories in
conosole.

The problem:  in KDE, Konqueror takes a long time (over a minute) to start and
the KDE-Panel hangs until Konqueror comes up.  Once Konqueror comes is up I
can move through directories in the NFS mount and transfer files fine.  New
instances of Konqeror also take a while to come up, both of the NFS mount and
of Home.

If I kill the xserver and log back in, KDE hangs on "Initializing system
services"

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track this problem down?

Thanks,

Chris