Re: Session management

On Thursday 23 December 2004 10:42, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:03, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 December 2004 17:22, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > >
> > > The options you want are in the Control Center, under KDE
> > > Components->Session Manager.
> >
> > Uh-uh.... It has an option to _exclude_ an application from session
> > management, but there is no way to tell it I want to _start_ a
> > specific application.  I could just add it to the auto-start menu,
> > but I don't _always_ want it to start.
>
> Any program not explicitly excluded should consequently be included,
> provided "On Login" is set to anything other than "Start with an empty
> session". It doesn't appear to me that non-KDE programs would be
> excluded (at least GTK programs appear to be remembered).

Only programs that _do_ session management are remembered.  So I need some
kind of wrapper that will execute the non-session-managed application.  I can
just make my menu entry "run in terminal" but that leaves me with an ugly
uxterm window that I don't want to have to see.

> > > Once "On Login" is set to "Restore manually saved session" in the
> > > aforementioned Control Center view, a "Save Session" option will
> > > appear in the K menu.
> >
> > Ah.  That isn't remotely explained in the associated help.  There's
> > an implication that the Save Session option should always be there.
>
> That would hardly make sense were the session management not set up to
> use saved sessions.

Regardless, the help says that it's on the menu, and I already knew it wasn't.
It still makes much _more_ sense if the help mentioned that it's only there
if you ask to restore a manually saved session.

> As I understand it, the only one saved is the last session saved. That
> is, what you saw when you last clicked "Save Session" is what you
> (should) get.

Not much use, then.

> > Isn't this behavior exactly what
> > you would get with: On Login Restore Session: yes/no
> >  On Logout Save Session: yes/no
>
> I'm not seeing those options. Perhaps you're using a different KDE
> version?

That was a hypothetical..

> > except that you would have to logout to effect the "Save Session"?
>
> I believe the whole idea of the "Restore manually saved session" option
> would be that you shouldn't have to log out just to save the session.

imo, it isn't very intuitive as it is.  Using my hypothetical options, I think
it would be more obvious.  I really can't see much value in _not_ having to
log out just to save the session, when you can't _use_ the session until you
log in.

> It appears that what you want is "Restore previous session", though,
> since you don't always want the program in question started.

No, what I really wanted was a way to restore the session that I had before I
messed up and closed the Konqueror window with 15 tabs.  What I usually do is
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and log in again - getting the session I saved at last
logout.  It works, and is probably as simple a solution as I'm really going
to get, as the odds that I would have actually saved a "good" session more
recently are slim.
--
derek